High-value academic and educational sites of interest to the perioperative community:
- AACD: The American Association of Clinical Directors provides a forum for anesthesiologists whose primary responsibility is operating room management. The focus is upon operating room efficiency, productivity and cost containment. Physicians with an interest in the business aspect of operating room management are encouraged to join.
- ACS: The American College of Surgeons is dedicated to improving the care of the surgical patient and to safeguarding standards of care in an optimal and ethical practice environment. The ACS sponsors a variety of continuing medical education programs, such as the Clinical Congress, to help surgeons keep abreast of the latest information on surgical subjects.
- ACS NSQIP: The ACS National Surgical Quality Improvement Program is the first nationally validated, risk-adjusted, outcomes-based program to measure and improve the quality of surgical care. The program employs a prospective, peer controlled, validated database to quantify 30-day risk-adjusted surgical outcomes, which allows valid comparison of outcomes among all hospitals in the program.
- AORN: The Association of Perioperative Registered Nurses is an organization committed to improving patient safety in the surgical setting. The AORN Congress is the largest education and networking conference of perioperative nurse professionals in the world.
- ASA: The American Society of Anesthesiologists is the largest professional society for anesthesiologists. ASA members are partners in patient care with all health professionals, and part of the medical team from preoperative evaluation through surgery, recovery and pain management.
- Franklin Dexter, MD: Dr. Dexter is Professor and Director of Operations Research at the University of Iowa, and a renowned writer on perioperative-related matters. An excellent collection of peer-reviewed articles related to running the perioperative system can be found at Dr. Dexter’s website.
- IHI: The Institute for Healthcare Improvementis an independent not-for-profit organization helping to lead the improvement of health care throughout the world. Its programs and activities are designed to enable committed individuals and organizations to innovate together, share knowledge, and collaborate on the difficult, rewarding work of improving health care.